It's about time for a recipe.. Learning self-control with Blueberry Pink Lady Banana Bread

"For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge;  and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love.  "
2 Peter 1:5-7
I loveeee to bake.
:)
Especially Banana Bread
in various ways.
using one base recipe.
Initially it was Tyler Florence's
but as you will see I have changed it up a little bit :)

Usually I bake things I don't like.
Banana Bread is NOT one of those things.

Preparing for a scholarship pageant in a couple weeks means banana bread isn't allowed.
So yesterday, when I decided the old bananas in the fridge needed to be used or they were going to start molding I knew I was going to be practicing some self-control.
Lucky for you, you get a recipe out of it.  

The first one I have ever posted.
A little overdue I know..
Also, since I am a visual learner and love pictures, you get lots of photographs too :)
 Blueberry Pink Lady Banana Bread
makes about 24 muffins
 First let's start with the ingredients:
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour (regular flour works too, but whole wheat gives a sweeter flavor)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 2 tbsp cinnamon 
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 4 overripe bananas
  • 1 Pink Lady Apple (or any tart apple)
  • 2 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 1/2 cups blueberries (frozen preferred, but fresh will do, I froze mine overnight)
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Step One:  Set oven to 350 degrees F.  Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt by sifting it into a bowl.  Set it aside for later.

 Step Two: Cut the apple into nice chunks of varying sizes as pictured above, add the blueberries and lemon juice.  Then add 2 bananas.  Stir to combine, being sure not to mash the bananas entirely.  Set aside fruit mixture for later.
Step Three:  Whip the other 2 bananas with the sugar until light and fluffy like picture above.  Probably a good 2-3 minutes on high, then turn off the mixer

 Step Four:  Turn the mixer on to low and add the melted butter, eggs, and vanilla to the banana/sugar mixture.  Be sure that the ingredients are all well incorporated by scraping down the sides.
Step Five:  Turn the mixer to a low-med speend and slowly add the flour mixture you set aside in Step One to the banana/butter/egg mixture.  Again, scrape down sides and be sure the flour mixture is well combined.  Turn off the mixer and remove bowl from stand.  The batter will be dryish, especially if you used whole wheat flour.

Step Six:  Now add the fruit mixture you made in Step Two to the batter by stirring it in with a spatula.
Step Seven:  Place even amounts of batter into greased muffin tins.
Step Eight:  Place the muffins into the oven at 350 degrees F.  Bake for 25 minutes.
 
Step Nine: Remove the muffins from the oven once they are finished.  You can be sure they are done by inserting a tooth pick into the muffin and it comes out clean.  And let them sit for about 2 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely...

orrr if you are like I normally am, start eating them right away while they are still hot :)

All done!

Oh and if you do not have a mixer, you can use a whisk to mix instead.  It is just tiring but a good workout for your arms.
These bad boys are loaded with fruit.  The apples help the whole wheat flour not be so dry, and the blueberries, well, they are just delicious.
And if you check out one of our 3 freezers right now you'll find about 100 lbs of Michigan Blueberries.  
That number is not a joke, my father is crazy..
"Like a city whose walls are broken down
    is a man who lacks self-control."
-Proverbs 25:28

Early this summer I was struggling with controlling my eating, so today was a good day to practice limiting myself from something I would normally tell myself I should have.  Sometimes we have to say no to the things that sound good right now, so that we can achieve something greater, later.  For me, this was about focusing on my goal and not letting my current desires get in my way.  Often times, this is a struggle for me so when I can practice self-control, I want to. 
Food is not the only area I struggle with controlling myself.  In terms of school, I often let things distract me from my studies.  This last year I decided that was not going to happen, so instead I spent almost all of my time at my house studying.  Self-control should not limit us from something that is good but help us create a healthy balance.  Now, I realize I missed that detail most of last year.  Consequently, saying no to friends in order to study caused me to almost completely limit myself from friends, missing out on great fellowship time and memory making.  Which, near the end the semesters, really took a toll on my emotions.  I often found myself feeling lonely and depressed.
I do not want that to happen again..
Next year, I plan to use my realization and strengthened self-control to do my school work when I need to but also spend time with friends when I should.  To plan ahead and not get stressed out by sometimes saying no to one or the other.
I now know I can not just practice self-control, but ask God to give me wisdom on when to say no and when to say yes.  I need His help because I obviously can not do it on my own.
 
"Therefore, prepare your minds for action; be self-controlled; set your hope fully on the grace to be given you when Jesus Christ is revealed.  As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance."
-1 Peter 1:13-14
 

Comments

I'm gonna eat sum of those muffins as I am your official food taster
These look so absolutely amazing! Good thing they aren't gluten free or I would probably try to eat them all.

Popular Posts