He is Faithful: Heart Guarder.

“My son, pay attention to what I say;
    turn your ear to my words.
 Do not let them out of your sight,
    keep them within your heart;
for they are life to those who find them
    and health to one’s whole body.
Above all else, guard your heart,
    for everything you do flows from it.
Keep your mouth free of perversity;
    keep corrupt talk far from your lips.
Let your eyes look straight ahead;
    fix your gaze directly before you.
Give careful thought to the paths for your feet
    and be steadfast in all your ways.
Do not turn to the right or the left;
    keep your foot from evil.”
-Proverbs 4:20-27
Why?
Why are movies so full of magical, unrealistic, fairy-tale love stories that downplay the glory of a good well-fought discussion or argument between a husband and his wife?  
Why do people in this world think that being swept off their feet and love-at-first-sight is always a good thing?  Or that if you are not completely head-over-heals-in-love or desiring the person it has to be the wrong one?
What if you have to wait 3 or 10 years until you can marry the person?  Do you really want to be fighting God's loving-guidance against your fleshly desires for that long?  
One of my dearest friends and I were talking about this yesterday, how, if the strong physical desire to be close to someone is not there does that mean they are not the right one?  Both of our initial responses were, of course not, you have to get to know them first.  We continued on to think we should count it a blessing that God would protect our bodies, minds and ultimately hearts from the temptations of lust and giving up of one's soul to another that comes quickly with a physical relationship.  
It would be difficult to get to know someone well when all you are thinking about is what their lips feel like or how comfortable you are in their arms.  Who wants the pain that comes after figuring out the lips are amazing but the heart is a black hole?  
Not me.  
I'd rather figure out about the black hole of their heart before I get mine too close and become too weak to the pull of their heart on mine.  Black holes are strong, and when you get too close, they suck you right in.  
This week, I am reflecting on the faithfulness God  has continuously displayed to me in answering my prayer to overcome my lustful desires.  Many of you know my testimony.  Some of you have heard, and witnessed, the new mind and actions God has given me over the years.  He has renewed my heart and mind and given me strength to overcome something that once had a such a strong power over me. 
I did absolutely nothing, but prayed and read his Word.  He changed my heart, he took away my fleshly desires.  He renewed me, covered me, strengthened me.  He made me whole again.  Before I began praying for him to take away these desires, I stayed away from reading the Bible.  I even remember telling my youth pastor I did not read my Bible because I was sure I would find things in it I was doing wrong and have to change.  I thought I would not want to change, but God worked in me. In his creation of my new heart and mind, he gave me new desires and motivations toward honoring him and not myself.  
I do not know the "right" answers to my questions on relationships but I do know that something even as simple as holding hands can let someone in more than you ever dreamed.  God warns us to "[a]bove all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it" (Pr. 4:23).  
So for me, if in my getting to know someone comes with hesitancy I will take it with thanksgiving to God for remaining faithful and continuing to answer my prayer by guarding my heart from myself and what I think is right.  I will wait on the Lord to move in my mind, to give me direction forward, or to turn away.  
He will.
He is faithful.  He is true.  All he desires is to give us the best gifts, the ones that are truly within our hearts.  The ones that will bring him glory and enable us to love without fear.  
“Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice. Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.
I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that now at length you have revived your concern for me. You were indeed concerned for me, but you had no opportunity. Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content.  I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need.  I can do all things through him who strengthens me.
-Philippians 4:4-13

Comments

Tirzah said…
thank you for sharing how God is working in your heart :) You have no idea how encouraging it is!
Gorgeous pictures, and I love how they match the concepts in your paragraphs :)

Popular Posts