We all need a little help sometimes
"The Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him."
-Genesis 2:18
One of the biggest lessons I
learned in India was, as Christians, we are not to do things alone...
I enjoy solitude.
Independence.
Before India, I truly believed any time asking
for help was weak and cheating.
Whether it be for school, or
spiritual.
In homework, I would only ask the
teacher for help, never a fellow student.
In Godly matters, I would rarely
confront someone older or wiser to help me with a challenging topic.
When difficulty with my thoughts
arose, I truly believed I had to work through them alone with
God,
not share them one little bit,
with anyone,
ever.
If I did, I would not be
relying on Him enough.
I would be weak and lack
trust.
Funny that the Bible says,
"Two are
better than one,
Because they have a good reward for their labor.
Because they have a good reward for their labor.
For if they fall, one will lift up his companion.
But woe to him who is alone when he falls,
For he has no one to help him up.
But woe to him who is alone when he falls,
For he has no one to help him up.
Again, if two lie down together, they will keep warm;
But how can one be warm alone?
But how can one be warm alone?
Though one may be overpowered by another, two can withstand him.
And a threefold cord is not quickly broken."
And a threefold cord is not quickly broken."
-Ecclesiastes 4:9-12
India opened my eyes to the danger
in being alone.
How our minds can drive us to crazy
things.
How the devil can hurt us deeper both
physically and mentally when we have no one to pick us up,
or talk us through.
And how the prayers of companions, one with us in Spirit, can save our lives.
If Jesus knew he should send out the
twelve 2 by 2, what makes me think I am any stronger than the men Christ
chose to learn directly from Him?
"Calling the Twelve to him, he began to send them out two by
two and gave them authority over impure spirits."
-Mark 6:7
Hahahaha,
Sorry but seriously, that is funny.
That sometimes we can even think that
we are strong enough on our own...
No matter how much I try to fake it,
my past shows me, at least, that
I am not.
This past year, God has blessed me in
amazing ways.
One of them is with faithful friends.
He has given me companions to
counsel, love and pour life into me.
Friends that lift me up when I am
down.
Pray for and with me.
I believe that sharing with each
other along with sharing with Christ
is the only way to fully experience
Him.
By withholding ourselves from fellow believers,
we are withholding ourselves from a part of God.
Because He is in each one of us, and
therefore when we share with each other, we are sharing with Him too.
Do you have those types of friends?
Friends who tell you what you need to
hear, but not necessarily what you want to hear.
Friends who know you well enough to
know you are struggling when you do not say a word.
We all fall down sometimes.
Do you have someone you know
will help you up,
encourage you forward,
and not judge you because they too
know they will mess up someday
and you'll be there to pick them up?
I think part of my depression this past month was brought on by allowing myself to be alone too much.
Not allowing enough of myself to be seen by others.
To help me think through my thoughts and hold me accountable.
To let them love me the way God wants to love me, to feel my pain with me.
We need each other.
"Share with the Lord’s people who are in need.
Practice hospitality."
-Romans 12:13





Comments